- Gum recession is a common dental finding that can make the teeth look long and may also lead to sensitivity.
- Recession can be caused by excessive bite forces, excessive muscle tie forces, and/or periodontal inflammation.
- Some areas of gum recession may be treated by minimally invasive techniques to reduce the amount of
the tooth exposed to the elements which in turn reduces sensitivity.
- It is not always necessary to require a donor site to treat this issue as collagen membrane and bone
grafting may be used within the gums to achieve root coverage.
- The tooth structure normally covered by the gums is usually darker in color than the portion of the tooth
above the gums that has enamel.
- Please ask your doctor if this procedure is indicated.